After holidays in such a wonderful country like Sri Lanka, I'm sure that everyone wants to bring a piece of it to home. That kind of a things that will warm your heart, recalling the carefree days in a tropical paradise.
There are so many interesting things here. What to choose, where to buy. Those questions will be discussed in this article.
What can you bring from Sri Lanka
- Fruits (It is better to take a little unripe fruit. Not all airlines are allowed to carry fruit in the hand luggage, so just pack in luggage)
- Sweets (there are a lot of unusual local sweets at the local markets and supermarkets)
- Spices (Sri Lanka is famous for its variety of spices/. All the spices you can find in large supermarkets with the price on the package or in the small markets. Do not buy spices in the spise garden or in the souvenir shops for tourist - you will overpay more than 2-3 times)
- Aromatic food essences (sold in small bottles in supermarkets. Baking give stunning taste and aroma)
Ayurveda, cosmetics, oils
Ayurvedic products in Sri Lanka are certified by the Department of Ayurveda. Interesting enough range of Ayurvedic remedies presented in conventional supermarkets and small local shops. Almost every town has ayurvedic shops.
- Coconut oil (You can buy in supermarket or even better to choose and buy in the local market)
- Black cumin oil ( "oil for all diseases except death." In Hikkaduwa in the supermarket sold quality oil of "Barack" company)
- Ayurvedic and massage oils (you can buy in small ayurvedic shops and supermarkets)
- Incense sticks (For sale in every supermarket)
- Ayurveda Siddhalepa company balm ( "Herbal Aurvedic Balm" - a very useful thing, help in case colds, mosquito bites, toothache and headache, muscular pains in the composition of eucalyptus, citronella, cinnamon, menthol and camphor has a pleasant aroma. You can purchase in the supermarkets in jars of different sizes)
- Syrup for colds of Siddhalepa company (in Hikkaduwa for sale in the supermarket, tried to imagine great help in the early stages of colds. Natural vegetative composition)
- Ayurvedic care products for skin and hair (Audited Indian brand:. Dabur and Himalaya Herbal From local: Siddhalepa, Nature's Secrets, Weerarathna and Essential oils)
Ayurvedic products is better to buy in supermarkets or pharmacies. Each product should have the price in rupees on bottle.
If you do not want to overpay of 5-6 times amount more often for low-quality products - do not take anything in the spice gardens and local shamans and healers.
Textile industry in Sri Lanka is highly developed. Many European brands buy tailoring in local factories.
- Clothes. (In Hikkaduwa shops you can find a large selection of clothes with interesting ethnic prints: sundresses, shirts, shawls, sarongs, aladdin pants. For adults and for children. Good choise for gift to yourself or friends)
- Silk (beautiful silk scarves and shawls are sold in stores Hikkaduwa)
- Batik (hand-painted fabrics. In Hikkaduwa can buy clothes from batik)
- Fabric (A wide range of fabrics you can find in Manjari market in Galle (organza, cotton, linen, chiffon, fabrics for suits and many other species).
Colombo: Store Fashion Fabrics, district Kollupitia, market in Petah, district Colombo Fort, the market in Maharagama, near the bus station.
In Kandy: a large market near the bus station.
Sri Lanka ranked third in the world in the production of tea and is one of the largest exporters of tea in the world market. Mainly produces black and green tea. If you need just a good tea, you can buy it in local supermarkets. Also in supermarkets they have tea in different gift boxes and a sets of mini teas. Very good choice for gifts. Connoisseurs of high-quality tea is considered assortment of specialty stores or shops at tea factories. The best is a tea plantation in Nuwara Eliya and Alas.
- Traditional masks
One of the most popular souvenirs. You can find in any resort town.
In 15km far from Hikkaduwa, In Ambalangoda town, located famous Sri Lankan Mask Museum, which exposition is devoted to the history of the emergence and use of masks in different rites and ceremonies. You can visit the library in the museum containing a large number of ancient books and valuable research on the tradition of masks manufacture craft.
- The paintings on fabric
Bright ethnic paintings for interior decoration are sold at almost any resort town. At Hikkaduwa there are shops with such paintings and paintings on canvas.
On sale there are statues of Buddha and Indian deities and figures of animals made of wood of different species (coconut, sandalwood, teak), metal and stone.
Gems and jewelry
Sri Lanka produce more than 80 kinds of precious stones. The most common is the sapphire.
Prices for jewelry and stones are lower, but there is a risk that you will get synthetic stone or glass. You can contact the stores recommended by National Gem & Jewellery Authority, there is a list on their website (www.ngja.gov.lk/en), as well as licensed jewelers names.
After purchases sure to ask for the check and certificate for your product. You may be asked for check on the purchased jewelry in the customs office at departure.